Complex litigation specialist in a variety of legal practice areas.
Ted Stream is a Founding Shareholder of Stream Kim Hicks Wrage & Alfaro, P.C. His leadership and respect in the legal community is earned as a result of passionate client service and noteworthy courtroom victories on the state, federal, and appellate court levels. Ted’s extensive experience with complex claims in a variety of areas continues to attract requests from clients around the world, many of whom are on the Fortune 500.
He began his career by graduating with honors from Willamette University College of Law. He subsequently served as a law clerk in the Oregon Department of Justice. For 13 years he was a Partner in the law firm Stream & Stream and then a Partner at Gresham Savage, before launching Stream Kim Hicks Wrage & Alfaro.
Areas of Practice
Ted’s expertise extends to a huge spectrum of practice areas including:
Awards & Publications
His high ethical standards, influential published cases, and many years of experience have earned Ted the highest recognition –Preeminent AV- from Martindale-Hubbell. This rating is awarded through a peer review system.
Sharing his insights with industry peers matters a great deal. Ted has been published in the National Business Institute | Judicial Forum as well as the World Trademark Review.
- Successfully defending a well-known civil engineering firm in a multi-million dollar malpractice action.
- Serving as lead trial and appellate counsel for dozens of counties, cities and fire districts before the California Supreme Court in a series of cases that defined rights and responsibilities under the California Emergency Medical Services Act [City of San Bernardino v. County of San Bernardino, 15 Cal.4th 909, 64 Cal.Rptr.2d 814 (1996)].
- Successfully defending a prominent software developer against a former employer’s claim of ownership, winning a widely publicized case.
- Successfully representing a Texas petroleum company in a toxic tort case before the Court of Appeals [Rivas v. Safety-Kleen Corporation,98 Cal.App.4th 218, 199 Cal.Rptr.2d 503 (2002)].
- Litigating antitrust action against the County of San Luis Obispo on behalf of an ambulance company, negotiating a favorable long-term exclusive operating agreement at a higher reimbursement rate [Five Cities Ambulance Services, Inc. v. County of San Luis Obispo, EDCV97-180 RJT(CTX) (1997)].
- Successfully obtaining a $2.3 million dollar verdict in a hotly contested real estate matter in Houston Texas, against JM Manufacturing Company, Inc., the world’s largest manufacturer of PVC pipe.
- Obtaining a defense verdict in a declaratory relief action by a co-owner of a shopping center who wanted to abolish all restrictive covenants in recorded CC&R’s.
- Recovering an unprecedented $600,000 in attorney’s fees and costs in an action brought against the world’s largest retailer.
When not in the courtroom, Ted is an active participant in the legal and civic communities. Affiliations include:
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Inns of Court, Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- California Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member and Past President
- Riverside County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- A Foundation for Kids, Board of Directors, 2014-present
- American Heart Association, Board of Directors Chairman, 2014-present
- Inland Empire Heart & Stroke Walk, Chairman, 2013-2014
- La Sierra University Community Foundation, Member, Board of Directors, 2003-present
- Raincross Club, Member, 2002-present
- California Riverside Ballet, Member, Board of Directors, 2003-2006
- Leadership Riverside Class of 2003, Member
- Loma Linda Financial Advisers, Member, Executive Committee, 2001-present
- United Way of the Inland Valley, Member, Board of Directors, 1996-2005
- La Sierra University Students in Free Enterprise, Member, Advisory Board, 1994-2004
- Make-A-Wish Foundation, Member and Secretary, Board of Directors, 1994-1995