Jeffrey W. Smetana
Jeffrey “Jeff” Smetana practices in civil litigation, employment, contracts, public agency law and real estate transactions, with an emphasis on commercial litigation. Mr. Smetana has more than 20 years’ experience in the real estate, lending and construction industries, which he worked in prior to joining the legal profession. This work experience provided him a strong sense of what it takes to succeed in business and he brings this client service, critical thinking, problem solving and real-world know-how to his commercial litigation clients.
Mr. Smetana’s experience includes research and analysis of complex legal issues, drafting of substantive pleadings, law and motion, discovery, appellate practice, alternative dispute resolution and representation in real estate and corporate governance issues. He has further experience in land use, easements, boundary disputes, deeds and transfers, residential and commercial leases, development agreements, broker/agent defense, landlord/tenant issues, construction defect, escrows, foreclosures and purchase and sale agreements. His corporate and association governance practice consists of drafting and interpretation of bylaws, policies and procedures, enforcement action, dissolutions and board advisement.
He has also managed personal caseloads in litigation, corporate, transaction and organizational general counsel capacities.
• California Bar Association
• Orange County Bar Association
• Riverside County Bar Association
• Top 5 percent of class at Western State University
• Awarded Western State University merit/full scholarship
• Received Witkin Awards for Academic Excellence in Torts, Contracts, Legal Writing/Research,
• Solving Legal Problems, Arbitration and Criminal Law
• Honor Roll/Distinguished Honor Roll for eight straight semesters
• Dean’s Circle member for 4 years continuously
• Law Review editor/student writer
• Assisting on multi-million-dollar healthcare RICO case defense involving dozens of parties and complex claims.
• Assisting with defense of national building contractor in 12 construction defect suits.
• Assisting on multi-million-dollar fraud claim by nationally recognized horse breeders against former business manager.
• Involved with a wide variety of other commercial litigation cases throughout the Southern California area.