Jeffrey W. Smetana
Jeff Smetana’s practice focuses on litigation, employment, contracts, corporate and real estate matters, with an emphasis on commercial litigation. Mr. Smetana has more than 25 years’ experience in the real estate, lending and construction industries, which he worked in prior to joining the legal profession. He brings this real-world experience to his case management, critical thinking, problem solving and resolution services on behalf of his commercial litigation clients.
Mr. Smetana is skilled in research and analysis of complex legal issues, drafting of substantive pleadings, law and motion, discovery, appellate practice, alternative dispute resolution and representation in real estate and corporate governance issues. He has extensive experience in land use, easements, boundary disputes, deeds and transfers, residential and commercial leases, development agreements, broker/agent defense, landlord/tenant issues, construction defect, escrows, foreclosures and purchase and sale agreements. His corporate and association governance practice consists of drafting and interpretation of bylaws, policies and procedures, enforcement action, entity formations and dissolutions, and board advisement.
Areas of Practice
• Real Estate
• JD, Western State University College of Law, 2014, Summa Cum Laude
• BS, Biola University, 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
• US District Court, Central District of California
• Defense team on multi-million-dollar healthcare RICO case defense involving dozens of parties and complex claims, obtained favorable settlement for client.
• Defense of national building contractor in dozens of construction defect suits, obtained favorable settlements, dismissals or alternative dispute resolutions in all matters.
• Plaintiff’s litigation team and trial preparation on multi-million-dollar fraud claim by nationally recognized horse breeders against former business manager, obtained multi-million-dollar favorable bench trial verdict.
• Representation of national advertising company in a multitude of lease disputes, real estate transactions, and property matters with private parties, municipal entities, American Indian Tribes, and corporations.
• Representation of large scale electrical contractor in contractual dispute with school district on public works project, obtained favorable settlement and release of payment.
• Representation of commercial property management firm in commercial unlawful detainer and civil suits, obtained multiple favorable judgments.
• Representation of corporate board member in multi-million-dollar buyout dispute with corporate entity, pending resolution.
• California Bar Association
• Orange County Bar Association
• Riverside County Bar Association
• WSU Law Review, 2012-2014
• Awarded WSU full merit scholarship
• Witkin Awards for Academic Excellence in Torts, Contracts, Legal Writing/Research, Solving Legal Problems, Arbitration and Criminal Law
• Distinguished Honor Roll/Dean’s Circle